Wednesday 24 June 2009

My online identity

I'm speaking at the Art of Digital event in Liverpool tomorrow.
The topic of the learning lab is The Personal which (according to the accompanying blurb) is
"all about the role and influence of people and organisations. We have recently seen the emergence of the self at the heart of online communication, placing the individual at the centre of digital culture."
Anyway, I've been given the theme Identity 2.0, and I have an hour in which to expand my theories. Which is a good topic for me as I'm prone to telling anyone who stands still long enough that journalists must develop and grow their own digital identities if they are to compete in a rapidly expanding arena.

I wasn't going to do a powerpoint, I was just going to talk it through; then I realised my digital life is a bit more eloquent than I am. So I've put a few slides together, and I'm also going to borrow from the 'year of the blog' posts I wrote earlier this year.



The slide that sums up the issues around where the professional ends, and the real person begins, I think, is the Twitter one. At 7.18pm I tweet about not giving "a shit about Spymaster", and at 7.19pm I inform the world of the wonderful online election coverage available on our websites. A complete fluke, and I only noticed when I was trawling back through Twitter looking for good and bad examples of my tweeting habits.
Professionalism, ur doin' it rong...

I really hope, I don't mess up tomorrow. Wish me luck.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Alison,
I really liked your presentation and as I told you, your public speaking skills are very good :-)

I'll follow you on line
Claudia

Unknown said...

thanks so much Claudia - it was a good day which I want to blog about in more detail; I was exhausted from learning by the end of it!

Nova Wildstar said...

I find that my online identity has spilled over into real life. Where once online me was one identity and real life me was a totally different person. Some how in the years of being online the two persona's have melted into one. It's now come down to me answering to either name and just as happy to be called Nova as I am to be called Tiff.

You've made me not only go off on a tangent there but you've given me something to think about .. hmmmm