Tuesday 9 December 2008

Spam irritations

Why would someone think the comment section of a blog about journalism is the best place to flog energy-saving lightbulbs?
I was tidying up this site the other day when I noticed a few extra comments on posts - and there they were - a whole bunch of spammy comments exhorting people to try a different kind of illumination in their homes.
I deleted some but lost interest after a while - which means the spammer has won I guess, but life is too damn short sometimes - and so they are still peppered around the archives.
I guess it could be worse - I know that some bloggers fight a major battle against spam comments every day - but it's still a bit weird. I mean, who reads a spam comment and thinks: "But that's so true! I do need to consider a new home lighting system/lose 10lbs of stomach fat/win a million dollars by posting my bank details..." etc etc?
Still, if I leave the key in my door, in a metaphorical Web 2.0-ish way, I guess some people are going to come in and mess around with the furniture. So long as they don't actually break anything, I can live with it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's not your readers that they're interested in persuading, but Google. The more links to their site, the higher it will feature in Google search results (it's more complicated than that, but that's the gist) and they hope to make money that way. We just have to suffer the pollution.

Unknown said...

Thanks for the info Adrian; I didn't know that. Sigh I'm just a pawn in the great battle for Google love...

xxNapoleonSolo said...

Never mind that Alison - instead have you seen these fantastic energy saving lightbulbs I have for sale? Yours for just £1 each!!