Monday 17 November 2008

Testing FineTuna

I've been playing around with a new web app that lets you upload, comment on and share photos easily.
It's called FineTuna and it is such a simple way of telling a story.



I've tried it out on a photo of the Yellow Submarine outside Liverpool John Lennon Airport (which was taken by Neil Shenton from the Daily Post's Flickr group).
Basically, you select the image you want - either using a url or uploading direct from your computer - add notes wherever you choose on the photo, you can also draw lines (I circled the rusty spot on the sub and wrote a note saying it could do with a lick of paint) and then emailed it to my Gmail account. A link arrived which took me to the page with my annotated photo. I could then add my own notes and send it on to... well, anyone really.


I love this idea. It's so quick and easy - perfect for covering a breaking news event; it would take seconds for a photographer at, for example, a major road crash, to upload an image, annotate with their own eyewitness account of what appeared to be happening, and email the link to the office. It would work brilliantly for liveblogging events and I think it could even work for certain crowdsourcing scenarios, where experts on, say, a specific forum, could annotate a relevant image with their own views. And you can install it as a FireFox extension.
It's refreshing to have a real 'does what it says on the tin' new tool to play around with. Finetuna is, I think, an app that has masses of story-telling potential and it's one I hope we can play around with in future.

4 comments:

glyn said...

Sounds like a really good idea, really like your sugggestion for how to use it as a journalistic tool. Will sign up and then get back to you on how it does.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the detailed write-up. Read a brief piece about this on TechCrunch this morn that didn't give much detail, so was gonna have to investigate myself, but you've saved me the job :-)

That said, I shall probably investigate at some point anyway as it's the sort of thing I can see myself using.

Unknown said...

@Glyn and @Jonathan yes please do and share how you get on with it! These ideas were off the top of my head and I guess I concentrated on breaking news pix and live events; there are bound to be much more opportunities for it.
But it's interesting isn't it? I think it could be a really useful little addition to the toolkit.

Anonymous said...

Making knight gold is the old question : Honestly there is no fast way to make lots of knight noah . Sadly enough a lot of the people that all of a sudden come to with millions of knight online gold almost overnight probably duped . Although there are a lot of ways to make lots of knight online noahhere I will tell you all of the ways that I know and what I do to make cheap knight gold.